RACE for 2030 joined Equal by 30
What is Equal by 30?
As of 2023, in Australia, women account for 39% of the clean energy workforce but the number is lower in leadership positions. In other countries, there is a bigger gap between the percentage of men and women’s participation in the workforce. The main goal of the Equal by 30 initiative is to drive change for equal pay, equal opportunities and equal leadership for women in the clean energy sector by 2030.
Equal by 30 was launched in 2018 and since then it has reached over 180 signatories worldwide. Corporations are all from the energy industry, focusing on various areas such as energy efficiency, clean technology and renewables. The campaign has expanded to 13 national governments, with the Australian government joining in November 2021.
Our Equal by 30 commitments
Specifically, over the next few years RACE for 2030 will be:
- Fostering an inclusive work environment where employees feel valued, respected, and supported regardless of their backgrounds. We will be encouraging open and honest communication and providing opportunities for feedback will contribute to a more inclusive workplace.
- Committing to nurture women within the organisation, with the end goal of them being Ambassadors in their field. RACE for 2030 will also commit to 50% representation of women across the workplace, including in the leadership team and on the Board by the year 2030.
- Providing regular training for employees on topics such as unconscious bias, cultural competency, and inclusive communication to help promote a more inclusive workplace culture and provide an environment free of harassment and bullying.
- Ensuring recruitment strategies are inclusive and promoted to encourage a diverse workforce by ensuring selection processes are unbiased and inclusive.
‘’RACE for 2030 is pleased to sign onto Equal by 30, and strongly supports advancing gender equality in the energy sector, both through action within our organisation as well as encouraging our partners to participate.’’ – Jon Jutsen
RACE will look to take action internally before we move on to external activities. Internally, the Diversity and Inclusion team are planning initiatives, such as:
- Organise diversity training and workshops
- Review elements of our presentations, emails and website to ensure that they match our commitments
- Hold cultural team events
- Develop a Diversity and Inclusion policy which incorporates our commitment to Equal by 30